Thursday, October 16, 2014

Happy Haunting: A Finished Quilt


I am very happy to say that my Halloween quilt, named "Happy Haunting" is finished!  This was my October goal (link #31) for A Lovely Year of Finishes.  I bought the fabric (Jeepers Creepers for Henry Glass) last November when it went on sale 50% off at my LQS.  I talked about the piecing of this quilt in this post

I have had so much fun quilting it, and it is the most dense I have ever quilted.  So be prepared for lots of pictures.  :)  I used matching thread on most of the prints, but used the clear thread on the house and characters.  I used the white Aurifil in the bobbin. 

 
It turned out so cute!  I didn't quilt on the trees and love how they puff out a little bit.


I spiral quilted the moon and quilted swirls in the orange background. 


I quilted barbed wire and eyeballs in the borders. 


I quilted on the printed webs in the spider border. 


My boys love this quilt so much that they have each claimed a character.  Cheetah is the grim reaper. 


Panda is the pumpkin guy.  (I think grandma and grandpa are the birds.) 


Monkey is the little ghost. 


Because daddy is the big ghost. 


I am the witch by default, because I am the only girl.  ;)


I think the little spiders (or is it the bats?) are Nana and Grandpa.  The spiders in the border represent all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.  LOL. 

I ended up using the green and yellow polka dot fabric for the backing. 


Did you know that hanging sleeves make great labels?  (I attach my hanging sleeve when I sew on the binding. Then hand stitch the bottom so that it has some extra give.) 


My boys love that you can see all the shapes on the back. 


In fact, they love it so much that they told me I had to hang it in the kitchen.  I couldn't hang it up downstairs like I was originally planning.  Vetoed in my own house!


It bugs me that it doesn't match the colors in my table runner.  I am told that I just need to make a new one, but I love Broomzelda. 


 
Quilt Stats #116
Name: Happy Haunting
Fabric: Jeepers Creepers for Henry Glass, Kona Black
Amount Used: 3.5 yards
Batting: Warm and White
Size: About 40 x 44 inches
Date Finished: October 2014
What I Learned:
  • I can quilt really close together.
  • Dense quilting makes the quilt stiff. 
XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I am linking up with Finish it up Friday and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop

P.P.S.  Maybe Broomzelda needs to find another place and I really do need a new table topper.

21 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job quilting this! It's nice that your family likes your work so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting looks fantastic, Jasmine! And I agree with the boys - seeing all the quilting shapes and patterns on the back is awesome. I am glad they like it enough they want it proudly displayed and have named all the characters. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! I love really dense quilting and my husband teases me about how I always have to turn it over and admire the back as much as the front. It's like getting two quilts for one! I love that your boys have picked out who they are and who everyone else in the family is too. How cute to have them so interested in what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome quilting Jasmine. Love how you used the web fabric for your quilting. What a wonderful detail. I can see why the boys love it so much. I bet it hangs far after Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, what a super cute quilt! I love that your boys love it so much. The quilting on it is fabulous and so thoughtful. I've never been one to make holiday quilts but I'm totally rethinking that silliness...I think I need to go find some cute Halloween fabric! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jasmine, your quilting stepped up a whole bunch on this quilt!! It is so fun to see you grow with that new machine. I love it tons!!!! You're not gonna want Halloween to end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your FMQ is awesome and really enhances the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilting is so amazing! Well done, Jasmine! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Haunting is a fabulous name! Your quilting is spectacular!! This is a great quilt. . . and that Broomzelda table topper is too adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilting on it is amazing!!! I love all of it and how you used different designs in different parts. Your boys are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love this spooktacular wall hanging! And that your boys have decided on how each family member is represented by the characters. You make the most adorable witch! Hee, hee! The quilting is incredible. You really went all out on this fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, matching is overrated!! It's so cool. Love the quilting pictures. Good job!! LeeAnna at not afraid of color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Jasmine! This is adorable! But my goodness, the quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Amazing job on the quilting. You are so patient to do all that work. The quilting just makes it all pop! Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful, Jasmine! Quite a treasure, that you'll enjoy for years to come!!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fandabbylicious!! Love your quilting - know what you mean about it making the quilt hard but it's turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! and I think the 2 pieces compliment each other very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just adorable and your quilting choices have added so much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute and you did a great job on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you reshared this under our Halloween Tuesday Archives theme Jasmine!! (As you know how much I already love it!!)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!