Friday, May 22, 2015

Finishing my Niece's Third Quilt


My mother-in-law and I just helped my niece, S, finish her third quilt.  It was such a fun group project.  It was the second quilt I helped her make.   (I've never seen her first quilt.)  We worked on the other one together last November.

When she came to visit from out of state, she knew she wanted to make another quilt.  She really liked the quilt I made for my father-in-law a couple years ago, and wanted to use the same pattern.  (It is similar to the Turning Twenty quilt, but the blocks finish at 12 inches.)


I told her what fabric she would need, and she went shopping for it with Nana.  Didn't she do a great job picking fabrics to go together?  I love what she chose.  Then she came to my house to cut it out.  She went back to Nana's to piece the blocks and sew them into rows.  (Nana does the pinning and pressing while she does the sewing).  I had her come back to my house to add borders so I could teach her the right way to do it.  We went to my mom's house all together to get it quilted.


She picked a loopy star design for the computerized quilting, and helped me when it was time to roll it.  She really did such a great job piecing it.  It laid totally flat on the frames and was a dream to quilt.


She thought it was great that she could "quilt" and read at the same time.  ;)  While I personally prefer free motion quilting with its wobbles, computerized quilting serves a great purpose.  She was able to get it quilted beautifully and quickly (with a lot of help from her doting aunt).  My mother-in-law loves my mom's machine, even though she is not a quilter.

After it was quilted we went back to my house for the binding.  She wanted me to bind this quilt, but also wanted to watch this time.  The chevrons look so neat for the stop border and the binding.


This process took about a week from start to finish.  Of course, her quilt needed its own photo shoot in my back yard.  (I think she thought I went a little crazy with the camera, but her mom loves all the photos I took.)


I quilted it with a gray thread which blends beautifully with the front and back.


I even got her to add a corner label this time.  You can barely see it in the upper left corner of this photo.


I really am so proud of my niece.  Her quilts keep getting better and better.  But the best part is the bonding time we share when we work together.  She has lived in another state my whole marriage, so I treasure our time together.


It should be a fun summer this year.  Another niece came to watch the quilting and wants to finish her quilt I helped her with a year and a half ago.  (It is cut out, and she started piecing it).  Plus, Cheetah wants to make another quilt to try out grandma's long arm.  She is so sweet to share it with not only her family, but my husband's side as well (as long as I am there to operate it).

This is the third quilt we have quilted on my mom's Handi Quilter Fusion, and we are really enjoying it.  It isn't nearly as intimidating as it once was.  But for anyone wondering, I still love my Tiara best!
XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun linky parties on my sidebar.  Check them out to see what other quilters are up to.

P.P.S.  Speaking of summer... don't be surprised if I don't post as often.  I'm really looking forward to more family fun time this summer.  :)

16 comments:

  1. Love this color combination! It is great when a project like making a quilt creates such a nice bonding opportunity. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, niece! Your quilt is awesome! Enjoy your family this summer, Jasmine. I just home summer gets to Wyoming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great choice of fabrics! They play so nicely together. She's doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She did a fantastic job! From the colors to all the piecing and help from the family. Love the chevrons, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so fun :) it must be so rewarding helping others learn to make quilts! Enjoy your family this summer, there's nothing more important for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks so balanced and peaceful. What a great job... hopefully she's hooked on quilting now to continue the chain in your family of quality quilting! Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your niece has a knack for colour! Her quilt looks lovely. How lucky for her to have an aunt who can help teach her and has access to a longarm machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always pleasant to hear stories like this. The time spent with your niece whether, it's helping or teaching is priceless. Because of this, she will be able to do it on her own someday. :-)
    Well done niece!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt is so lovely; the color combinations are great! Your niece has a real eye for color. How fun for her to be able to long-arm the quilting, and for you to help! It's so great that your family wants to share your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a sweet quilt! Looks like you had lots of fun on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful experience for you and your niece! Her enthusiasm plus your generosity of spirit and time. That's a family that supports each other! (and I love her fabric choices, too, it made into a beautiful quilt!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to you all on a really lovely quilt, must be a wonderful feeling helping her through the process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great bonding and sharing time. Sniff. Maybe my girls...na, maybe Brady will be interested in making a quilt together when he comes to visit me, his Nana, this summer! Hold that thought. :-) As for the colours and fabrics, yep, your niece did good! Great pattern to encourage the beginning quilter, and she has lots of encouragement and coaching from her aunt and nana, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jasmine this is really a wonderful story about your process of helping your niece learn to quilt! I love all the hopping back and forth between houses and the way you and your Mom go about it. Your niece put together a great quilt too and you all should be really proud!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great colors for the quilt! I think it's funny she likes to "read while quilting" - that never dawned on me as a possibility!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What? Not posting as often? Does that mean you'll be making just one quilt a month instead of three? Tch, tch, tch.
    Oh Jasmine, I just have to blink and you have three new posts.
    You enjoy your summer and I'll be right here waiting for the next quilty awesomeness.
    Love the blue quilt - simple and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!