Thursday, October 15, 2015

Scrap Vortex Quilt in Progress


I have been saying that I wanted to make a Scrap Vortex quilt for awhile.  Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts hosted a quilt along this past summer with great instructions for making this kind of improv quilt.

I started out by separating all of my rainbow scraps which were not the full width of fabric.  I put them in a tray in my Ikea cart and thought I would use the scraps as leaders and enders for a little while.  That thought lasted while I was making so many gift bags.  The rainbow scraps were great because I could use whatever thread was in my sewing machine as I was matching my thread color to the bag fabric.

Once all of my bags were finished and I was ready to start another quilt, I just couldn't.  I wanted to know what this quilt would look like.  So it became my current quilt project.  (Go ahead and laugh at the thought that I could even do two quilts at a time with leaders and enders.  I am still laughing every time I think about it.)  The scraps quickly moved to the top tray of my cart.

I started sewing pieces in pairs and even sewing individual pieces on long strings like this backing scrap.


I have heard that it is good to have a unifying fabric in scrap quilts, and that is what this floral has become.  It is the one scrap with the most contrast.

I learned that finding two pieces with a similar length on one side took longer than I thought it would.


I ended up building blocks/slabs around that floral print and I really like how it looks.

After awhile my tray looked like this...


And my design wall looked like this.


I totally love it!  I even included my one and only orphan block in the quilt.  Can you find the blue and white hour glass block left over from my Modern Farmer's Wife Quilt?

The only problem is that this quilt is not big enough.  I put all of the blocks in rows with other blocks of a similar height.  And I estimate that this quilt would finish about 42 x 60.  I would much rather it be 60 x 70, a good lap quilt size.  So I decided to add my rainbow strings and a few solids as well.


I have cut my rainbow strings in half at the fold and will see if that is enough to make the quilt the size I want.  I estimate that will add two yards of fabric scraps to the quilt. I have been sucked into the vortex of this quilt.  In fact, I plan on calling this quilt "Into the Vortex."  I love it when a quilt names itself.

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out for some great inspiration.

17 comments:

  1. I love how your Scrap Vortex is turning out! It's fun to see the hints of that focus fabric here and there! I am working on one, too, but a lot slower. What a great idea to make it a leader and ender project. Your design wall really works well for seeing how it goes together, too! I'm going to have to figure out how to make a design wall in my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt. It's bright, cheerful and whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ... I love that white and blue block you placed in the mid lower section, my eyes were drawn to it immediately. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And for the quilting, a big spiral centered on the hourglass block... This is awesome, Jasmine! The method leave the pieces on your design wall really well balanced and I can't wait to see how it finishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - even when I'm focused on one project, I need my leader/ender. I usually run into the same problem - wanting to know what it will look like when finished! I love your focus fabric, and yes - I immediately saw the hourglass and I think you should spiral quilt off that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it immediately as well, and think Kate's quilting suggestion is brilliant!

      Delete
  6. I really like what you are doing with this - not sure I have enough scraps to try it but I love how its turning out and yes spotted the block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can sure see from a scrap quilt the fabrics and colors you've been using. Loving your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt! I really like all those blues and oranges in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's turning out wonderful!! I have a hard time with the leader/ender thing too, partyly because I have an auto cutter on my machine so I forget to do the leaders but also I like working on the whole quilt and not just the pieces mixed in with another project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your post and your quilt, Jasmine. Seeing the process is very neat. I look forward to seeing the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jasmine, as always, you are incredibly wonderful. I love this so much,
    I have been itching to do some "free styling" and hope to once I get all of my other stuff done hahaha
    but it is something I think about every day, and you are inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  12. You whipped that up in about a second, I think. :-) It is your focus that does it.
    The stray block is a natural focal point, thanks to it's diagonal lines. You might want to play off it with your quilting! Have fun extending the size - what am I saying? You probably already have it done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love going backwards here in time (ha, one advantage of being off QBL for a little bit) and seeing the birthing of this quilt. Mine will be done...next year maybe... The bowl of potential scraps for mine keeps growing, and the mostly pairs I've got growing much slower by comparison. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love scrappy quilts! This is beautiful! Came by way of Oh Scrap link and am new to your blog. Will be sure to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like how you used that fun floral as a focal fabric. This is such a happy looking quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing it grow.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!