Thursday, October 6, 2016

Valentine Quilt in Progress


It is no secret that I love seasonal quilts and that I love plus quilts.  I have wanted to make a valentine plus quilt ever since I saw the one Deb made.  I learned that plus quilts turn out the best with a good balance of lights, mediums, and darks.  So when I saw the Ever After layer cake by Deb Strain which has whites, light and medium pinks, reds, gray, and black, I thought it would be great for a plus quilt.  So I bought a matching layer cake and charm pack.  However, I found that there really wasn't enough variety in prints in the layer cake.  So I added some scraps for variety.


I kept adding more scraps.  This time from my Quilty Kisses quilt.  I think the lips are my favorite fabric in there.


It was much better, but the fabrics needed just a little bit more shifting.


Yep!  I like this arrangement with these additions.  ;)


Do you add more fabrics for variety when you use a precut?

XX,
Jasmine

7 comments:

  1. You are getting a nice and early start on having this ready for Valentine's day! The lips are very cute. I don't tend to buy anything other than fat quarters as a precut because they are expensive on a per yard basis... and I have always worried about there being a lack of variety like you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I like to add more fabrics when I use a precut. Same colors but different prints add more variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! I rarely use precuts, but I don't think I have ever made a quilt from only one line of fabric. I do like how those lips bring all the colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be fantastic, looking forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty. I have made one quilt using this pattern. Time for another one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good, Jasmine!
    It is all just fabric. Sometimes a precut (because it is just the right color/value) makes it to the fabrics and sometimes other fabrics (from yardage) get mixed into the fabric pull. Whatever works!
    Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love holiday quilts too!! This is going to be a great one :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!